Skip to content

Have You Been In A Car Accident in Atlanta? Here’s What To Do Next…

February 10, 2011

You’ve just been in a car accident. Your heart is pounding, your hands are shaking, and you’re not sure what just happened.  What do you do next?  Should you call the police?  Get your insurance company on the phone?  Call the hotline that you’ve seen advertised on billboards and television?

Your first call should be to the police to report the accident. An officer will arrive at the scene to take statements, assess the damage, and determine who was at fault and write any necessary citations. If you are having difficulty breathing, experiencing blurred vision, double vision, nausea, difficulty moving your arms and legs or suspect you may have any broken bones, request to be taken the emergency room.  Otherwise, your first call needs to be to a qualified personal injury doctor.

Why should you trust an injury doctor to diagnose and treat injuries from an auto accident?  Most injury specialists focus on musculoskeletal injuries like neck pain, back pain, headaches, sciatica, disc herniations, and whiplash.  As a result they are extensively trained in determining what diagnostic testing is necessary, and if your pain requires a consultation from a specialist such as an orthopedist or neurologist. An injury specialist determines the type and severity of your injuries, and how they can be best treated.

It is common for personal injury specialists to use a combination of therapies to help heal the injuries from your car accident.  In addition to therapies such as acupuncture, massage, manipulation, electric muscle stimulation, rehab exercises, and spinal decompression are also very common modalities used.

You will also want to make sure that your doctor is comfortable working with personal injury attorneys. Not every car accident case requires the guidance of an attorney, but if yours does it is critical that your doctors and lawyer are on the same page.  Ask your doctor if they have experience working with attorneys, writing narrative reports, or performing impairment ratings. This is where your doctor can make or break your personal injury case. For this reason, many family doctors won’t even see patients who have been in a car accident- they don’t want the hassle of dealing with auto insurance companies and personal injury attorneys.

So if you’ve recently been in an auto accident and are experiencing common symptoms such as neck pain, whiplash, numbness in the arms or legs, back pain, headaches, or difficulty concentrating, immediately consult with a qualified doctor who can help with your recovery.


If you’re in the Metro Atlanta area and have any questions about accident injuries feel free to contact Dr. Guevara at (678) 223 – 3900.

For more informative articles and videos like this one feel free to join me on or

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: